This is a digital file
2 Adobe PDF files (15pgs/5pgs, 1.9MB+/500KB)
Here is a tutorial for fun, economical and surprisingly comfortable POP TOPS, or hats, that you can make while you practice the 3 R's (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle)!
This tutorial cover how to make "tabistry" domed crown hats in unlimited styles, just like those found at tabistry.blogspot.com, with little to no supply costs involved using ordinary things you may have lying around your home. All that is needed is:
• soda pop and beer can PULL TABS (about 1000-2000 or 1 qt-gal. sized bag)
• SCRAP FABRIC or used clothing, like a ratty old T-shirt or even "plarn"
As for tools, you will really only need:
• SCISSORS to cut your strips
• RULER or tape measure
• GLUE or needle/thread to secure ends (optional)
This is an intermediate project due to it's size. However, this tutorial covers everything you need to know to successfully make a domed hat out of can tabs. There is no need to purchase the "Tabistry Basics" Tutorial for this project (unless you would like to learn additional techniques not covered here) I've included all the information necessary to make these hats including:
• Making Foundation Chains & Scale Pattern
• Adding Top/Bottom Rows
• Weaving "In the Round"
• Shaping with Increases & Decreases to create Flat Circles & Rings
• Joining pieces Together
• Tying Off Ends
• Finishing Edges and Adding Trim
• Joining Material Strips
Follow along as I cover how to make a custom-sized hat of the style of your choosing including sun hats or even a tricorne or cavalier style. You'll be able to make your own custom hats using the techniques covered in this tutorial, which include:
• Preparing Material and Tabs
• Sizing your hat
• Examples of the different styles
• How to determine where and how often to increase to get the look you want
• Suggestions for stitching your pieces together
• Ideas for finishing and embellishing your new hat
PLUS: I've also included detailed written pattern guides to make 4 of my own styles including the pirate sunhat/tricorne, bucket-shaped and floppy sunhat. And, included in the tutorial are instructions for making an adjustable hatband and bottlecap flower to dress up your hat.
After payment has cleared, you will receive an email from Etsy letting you know your Adobe Acrobat (PDF) files are ready for download. If you do not receive anything within 24 hours, please contact me by Etsy convo or email at mieljolie [!at] yahoo.com.
Look for more tabistry patterns and tutorials to be available to try in my etsy store!
You might also like
More from this seller
I accept Paypal, Check or Money Order. I will hold sending out items or links to files until payment is received and cleared. So, please keep this in mind when sending checks or payments by mail in general.
Returns & exchanges
- Perishable products (like food or flowers)
- Digital downloads
- Intimate items (for health/hygiene reasons)
If there is a problem with a tutorial/pattern that has already been accessed, I will not be able to refund, but please explain the problem fully in a pm or email, and I will be happy to help out anyway I can. If there is trouble accessing the link, please let me know ASAP, so we can sort out the problem in a timely manner.
I'm happy to do custom work. And, I'm always open to craft swaps or trades. So, if you are interested, email me from one of my blogs at mieljolie.blogspot.com or tabistry.blogspot.com.