This is a digital file
For years I've been hunting for the ideal tarot receptacle - elegant, clean-cut, portable. I didn't want drawstrings or ties or belts. I didn't want an open sack that could spill out its precious contents in my purse. I didn't want a bulky box whose corners could get crunched and rubbed and jostled.
Nothing was quite right for me.
So I set out to design one. The Arcana Case is a highly structured, lined, crushable yet resilient cloth case, designed to precise tolerances. It closes like a cigarette box or clamshell, and when closed the case is close-fitting enough that it will not open on its own.
My prototypes were custom-designed for a variety of my own decks, from small Marseilles-type decks to the Waite-Smith (or Rider Waite) deck. Although the Waite-Smith is considered a standard-sized deck (2-3/4" x 4-3/4", or 70 x 120mm), I knew that my pattern needed to be customizable to fit any deck just as closely as a standard one.
That's why this pattern comes in two parts:
1) An Excel worksheet where you can input the exact dimensions of the deck you're designing the case for. It will generate the exact cutting, folding and measuring specifications you need. You can work in either metric or U.S. standard.
2) The 2-page pattern instructions, which take you step-by-step through measuring, marking, folding, and constructing the outside and lining, and assembling and finishing the final product. There is one comprehensive schematic drawing rather than step-by-step drawings.
I've also created a 45-minute video that takes you step by step through the process. When you order the pattern, Etsy will share your email address with me, and I will grant your address YouTube access to the video via a private link.
ONE PATTERN . . . . . INFINITE CASES
For the confident sewist, it will take between 2 and 3 hours. To successfully complete the pattern, you should be comfortable with:
- Extremely accurate (to <1/16"/~1mm) measuring, marking and cutting .
- The "vintage" style of sewing pattern, where line segments are marked "AB," "CD," etc.
- A great deal of pressing and folding.
- Working accurately in tight spaces.
If these fall within your skill set, the Arcana Case pattern will be perfect for you - and every size of tarot deck in your collection.
You might also like
CUSTOM ORDERS: all custom orders must be paid for within 2 days of the item being finished and listed on Etsy. Any special order item not paid within 2 days of listing will be removed from reserved status and placed in the shop as publicly available.