This is a digital file
This steampunk digital doll pattern will let you sew an intricate inventor costume for your 18 inch doll.
It is the Inventor who uses their talent and imagination to create the marvels of the steampunk world. Ceaseless tinkering, designing and occasionally blowing things up – the Inventor is a quintessential steampunk archetype.
The steampunk movement is built on Victorian science fiction. As such, steampunk fashion uses the Victorian and Edwardian eras as a basis and builds from there. One steampunk blogger advises “dress Victorian and then add”. It’s the additions – gears and gadgets - that make steampunk so fun. This pattern bundle includes not only the basic clothing pieces – Knickerbockers, Shirt and Utility Bustle – but also some fun goggles!
- 1/3 yard or meter of mid-weight cotton, linen, wool or blends, faux leather, moleskin
- 4 x ½ inch buttons
- 5 sets of sew-in snaps
- 5 – 5 ½ inches of 3/8 inch wide elastic
- Dressmakers transfer paper and tracing wheel or some other kind of marking pen/tailor’s chalk and a ruler
Funnel Neck Shirt:
- ¼ yard of light to mid-weight cotton, linen or blends
- 16 inch by 7 inch piece of light weight cotton, linen or blends for lining (if not using the same fabric as main shirt fabric)
- 8 inch by 7 inch piece of interfacing. I prefer knit tricot interfacing but use your favourite
- 10 x 5/16 inch wide brads (regular brads), rivets or shank style buttons OR
- 10 x jump rings, 5 lobster clasps and 5-6 inches of chain
- Optional – If you are using brads or rivets, 8 inches of selvage edge or twill tape
- 21 inches of thin (about 1/16 inch wide) cording. It’s best to choose a cording that is woven or has some tooth to it and no stiffness – hemp, cotton, drapery cord and poly satin cord/rat tail work well
- Tailor’s chalk, disappearing ink pen or similar marking implement
- 9 inches by 5 inches of vinyl or light-weight leather for the belt
- 22 inches by 10 inches of non-ravelling fabric such as lace or mesh for the flounces. You can use the same fabric for all the flounces, or use different fabrics: Lower flounce – 10 inches by 10 inches, Middle flounce – 8 inches by 8 inches,Top flounce – 6 inches by 6 inches
- 5/8 inch by 3 ½ inch strip of contrast/complimentary leather or vinyl
- 3/8 inch by 2 ½ inch strip of contrast/complimentary leather or vinyl
- 2 x ¾ inch wide D-rings
- 2 x 5/16 inch brads (regular) and 4 x 3/16 inch brads (mini)
- 2 halo snaps OR 2 inches of 3/8 inch wide hook and loop tape OR 2 sew-in snaps
- Awl or leather punch
- Optional – mini tools
- Optional – gears, tiny bottles, tiny clocks etc. for decoration
- 3 inches by 4 inches of vinyl or light-weight leather
- 2 brass lock nuts (3/4 inch size pictured in this pattern) – meant for bathroom sinks and found in the plumbing section of hardware stores
- Alternative: 4 x ½ inch conduit locknuts – these are thinner than the brass locknuts and bigger The clear plastic lenses can be sandwiched between two locknuts.
- 4 x 3/16 inch brads (mini)
- 8 ½ - 9 inches of ¼ inch or 3/8 inch wide elastic
- Craft glue such as Amazing Goop that will adhere to vinyl/leather and metal
- Optional: small piece of clear, thin, rigid plastic. Fruit/veggie containers or product packaging works great. You will need this if you want to add lenses to your goggles
Optional supplies if you want to add a loupe to your goggles:
- ½ inch stainless steel surlok clamp for PEX pipe. Also found in the plumbing section of hardware Alternately, you could use a 5/8 inch hose clamp.
- Size 4 brass machine screw that is ¾ inches long plus one brass nut to fit the screw
- 1 ¼ inch (or smaller) alligator clip. These are found in the electrical section of hardware stores
Skill Level: Intermediate
Start your project immediately with this digital PDF pattern. It includes step-by-step instructions with full color pictures and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the file (e.g. Adobe Reader for Windows or Preview for Mac).
KeLibu is not affiliated with American Girl®, Mattel®, Our Generation®, Battat®, Maplelea®, Maplelea Girls®, Avonlea Traditions Inc.®, Journey Girls®, Toys R Us®, With Heart and Soul®, Kidz N' Cats®, Maru and Friends®, Maru & Friends® LLC, A Girl for All Time®, Daughters of History Ltd. or any doll/toy company.