Needle Tools That Won't Roll Off the Table!
Xiem's High-Quality Professional Needle Tools are designed with faceted rubber handle that gives firm gripping and comfort as well as to prevent it from rolling off the table. It is made of a single high-grade solid surgical piece of stainless steel to ensure strength and long lasting sharpness.
Xiem’s Porcelain Needle Tool (XST14) is designed specifically for use with fine particle clay. This thin, sharp and heat-treated high quality stainless steel needle is for cutting through and removing the uneven top edge of wheel-thrown items. It is also excellent for piercing holes and scoring.
Xiem’s Stoneware Needle Tool (XST15) is designed for clays with heavy grog and sand. The sharp point needle allows cutting through thick clay quickly and smoothly. The broader base of the needle helps to separate and split clay away with ease, avoiding bending and breaking. It can cut slabs when wet and cut down coils to a specific length. This heavy-duty needle tool is a must for all potters. It is excellent for a variety uses.
Like all Xiem tools, these professional needle tools come in bright colors - making them easy to find among many tools or at the bottom of your tool box. Xiem's needle tools comes in a variety of different colors. Current in-stock colors are white and yellow.
~~~~~~~~~~~ WHAT YOU'LL GET ~~~~~~~~~~~
A set of 2 Xiem's Pottery Needle tools
* XST14 - Porcelain Needle Tool (white/orange)
* XST15 - Stoneware Needle Tool (yellow/purple)
~Does Not Come with Packaging~
~~~~~~~~~~~ SHOPPING OPTION ~~~~~~~~~~~
> WHITE & YELLOW
(XST14 - Porcelain Needle Tool- in White
and XST15 - Stoneware Needle Tool in Yellow)
>ORANGE & PURPLE
(XST14 - Porcelain Needle Tool- in Orange
and XST15 - Stoneware Needle Tool in Purple)
5 Great Uses for a Needle Tool:
1) Pottery Needle Used to Incise Clay - Many feel comfortable using it like a pen or pencil to draw with them. Line quality will change depending on how dry the clay is when the needle incises it. Leather-hard clay will tend not to burr, and clay that is drying past leather-hard will often give a much swallower, more scratch-like line.
2) The Potter's Needle as Depth Gauge - Potter's needle is to get an accurate measure of how thick a slab or the floor of a pot is. Simply hold the needle completely vertical then push through the clay. Pinch the shaft of the needle were it meets the clay. Pull the needle straight out, keeping your fingers still on the shaft. The length of the needle's shaft from point to your fingertips is how thick the clay is at that point. The small hole made is easy to seal. If you are working on the wheel, compress the floor of the pot a few times. If you are hand building, gently push the clay back together.
3) Potter's Needles to Cut Clay - Potter's needles are also useful as cutting tools when cutting wet clay. They can cut slabs, cut down coils to a specific length, and are useful to cut through the top of an uneven pot on the wheel. When clay becomes stiffer, we recommend using a Potter's Knife with flat edge. Cutting stiffen clay with a needle can result in clay cracking, and should be avoided. See our "About" page to see how you can get a FREE Potter's Knife. https://www.etsy.com/shop/PotteryAndClay?ref=hdr_shop_menu#about
4) Potter's Needles Help Pick Up Pieces of Clay - Picking up small pieces of clay and pieces that it would be difficult to lift any other way without distorting the clay left behind. For this job, potter's needles are used in much the same manner as a trash spike. It is poked through the unwanted clay then used as a handle to lift it away from the desired clay.
5) The Potter's Needle Used to Score Clay - Whenever you want to join pieces of clay together, it is almost always a good idea to "score and slip", or scratch down into the clay on both surfaces where they will be joined then cover them with a layer of slip. For this usage, we also recommends:
Needle + Scoring Tool (2-in-1):
Retractable Scoring Tool:
Questions? Please contact us.
You might also like
More from this seller
Shipping & policies
Orders are shipped within 1 business day.
We use Etsy calculated shipping.
Orders ship via United States Postal Service (USPS) as follows:
USA DOMESTIC ORDERS:
Domestic orders ship via USPS First Class Mail (2-8 day delivery) or USPS Priority Mail (2-3 day delivery).
International orders ship via USPS First Class Mail International (1-3 weeks delivery) or USPS Priority Mail International (6-10 day delivery.)
Orders that are shipped to countries outside of the United States may be subject to import taxes, customs duties and fees levied by the destination country once shipment reaches that country. Buyers are responsible for all fees imposed by their country. We have no control over these or an expert at customs policies. Please contact your local customs office for information. When customs clearance procedures are required, it can cause delays beyond our original delivery estimates. Please understand the policies and cost(s) prior to ordering.
We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Etsy Gift Cards and PayPal via Etsy Direct Checkout.
Returns & exchanges
We want you to love your purchase! If there’s any issue with your purchase, please send us a convo and we’ll work to make it right for you. Our ultimate goal is to please you, the customer, and offer you an enjoyable shopping experience here on Etsy with our mix of quality clay and pottery tools.
If you are not completely satisfied with your order, PLEASE CONTACT US so we can provide with you return instructions. Please return it in its original condition within 30 days of the date of shipment for an exchange or refund. Tools must be in new condition in manufacturer's packaging with all labels attached.
Customers are responsible for shipping charges on returned and exchanged merchandise. Shipping charges are nonrefundable once your order has been shipped. We will refund shipping charges only if the error was ours. If your items qualified for Free Shipping, the outbound and return shipping costs incurred by us (Pottery and Clay) will be deducted from your refund or credit.
If you refuse a shipment upon delivery, we (Pottery and Clay) reserves the right to deduct the return shipping fees from your returned merchandise credit.
Promotions: Promotion code/type cannot be combined. One promotion per order.
We are always happy to hear from you. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.