This is a digital file
This steampunk digital doll pattern will let you sew an intricate inventor costume designed to fit your Journey Girls® doll.
It is the Inventor who uses their talent and imagination to create the marvels of the steampunk world. Ceaseless tinkering, designing and occasionally blowing things up – the Inventor is a quintessential steampunk archetype.
The steampunk movement is built on Victorian science fiction. As such, steampunk fashion uses the Victorian and Edwardian eras as a basis and builds from there. One steampunk blogger advises “dress Victorian and then add”. It’s the additions – gears and gadgets - that make steampunk so fun. This pattern bundle includes not only the basic clothing pieces – Knickerbockers, Shirt and Utility Bustle – but also some fun goggles!
- 1/3 yard or meter of mid-weight cotton, linen, wool or blends, faux leather, moleskin
- 4 x ½ inch buttons
- 5 sets of sew-in snaps
- 5 – 5 ½ inches of 3/8 inch wide elastic
- Dressmakers transfer paper and tracing wheel or some other kind of marking pen/tailor’s chalk and a ruler
Funnel Neck Shirt:
- ¼ yard of light to mid-weight cotton, linen or blends
- 16 inch by 7 inch piece of light weight cotton, linen or blends for lining (if not using the same fabric as main shirt fabric)
- 8 inch by 7 inch piece of interfacing. I prefer knit tricot interfacing but use your favourite
- 10 x 5/16 inch wide brads (regular brads), rivets or shank style buttons OR
- 10 x jump rings, 5 lobster clasps and 5-6 inches of chain
- Optional – If you are using brads or rivets, 8 inches of selvage edge or twill tape
- 21 inches of thin (about 1/16 inch wide) cording. It’s best to choose a cording that is woven or has some tooth to it and no stiffness – hemp, cotton, drapery cord and poly satin cord/rat tail work well
- Tailor’s chalk, disappearing ink pen or similar marking implement
- 9 inches by 5 inches of vinyl or light-weight leather for the belt
- 22 inches by 10 inches of non-ravelling fabric such as lace or mesh for the flounces. You can use the same fabric for all the flounces, or use different fabrics: Lower flounce – 10 inches by 10 inches, Middle flounce – 8 inches by 8 inches,Top flounce – 6 inches by 6 inches
- 5/8 inch by 3 ½ inch strip of contrast/complimentary leather or vinyl
- 3/8 inch by 2 ½ inch strip of contrast/complimentary leather or vinyl
2 x ¾ inch wide D-rings
2 x 5/16 inch brads (regular) and 4 x 3/16 inch brads (mini)
- 2 halo snaps OR 2 inches of 3/8 inch wide hook and loop tape OR 2 sew-in snaps
- Awl or leather punch
- Optional – mini tools
- Optional – gears, tiny bottles, tiny clocks etc. for decoration
- 3 inches by 4 inches of vinyl or light-weight leather
- 2 brass lock nuts (3/4 inch size pictured in this pattern) – meant for bathroom sinks and found in the plumbing section of hardware stores
- Alternative: 4 x ½ inch conduit locknuts – these are thinner than the brass locknuts and bigger The clear plastic lenses can be sandwiched between two locknuts.
- 4 x 3/16 inch brads (mini)
- 8 ½ - 9 inches of ¼ inch or 3/8 inch wide elastic
- Craft glue such as Amazing Goop that will adhere to vinyl/leather and metal
- Optional: small piece of clear, thin, rigid plastic. Fruit/veggie containers or product packaging works great. You will need this if you want to add lenses to your goggles
Optional supplies if you want to add a loupe to your goggles:
- ½ inch stainless steel surlok clamp for PEX pipe. Also found in the plumbing section of hardware Alternately, you could use a 5/8 inch hose clamp.
- Size 4 brass machine screw that is ¾ inches long plus one brass nut to fit the screw
- 1 ¼ inch (or smaller) alligator clip. These are found in the electrical section of hardware stores
Skill Level: Intermediate
Start your project immediately with this digital PDF pattern. It includes step-by-step instructions with full color pictures and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the file (e.g. Adobe Reader for Windows or Preview for Mac).
KeLibu is not affiliated with American Girl®, Mattel®, Our Generation®, Battat®, Maplelea®, Maplelea Girls®, Avonlea Traditions Inc.®, Journey Girls®, Toys R Us®, With Heart and Soul®, Kidz N Cats®, Maru and Friends®, Maru & Friends® LLC, A Girl for All Time®, Daughters of History Ltd. or any doll/toy company.