Knitting KIT // Child's Icelandic Patterned Yoke Lopapeysa Sweater Kit: FJORD. Lopi Yarn, Original-Design Pattern Instructions, Project Bag.
A classic, retro design for outdoor adventures, this North Child KNITTING KIT is for FJORD, a seamless, bottom-up children's sweater with two charted wave patterns. It works up quickly in light aran-weight Lettlopi yarn, which blooms beautifully when blocked.
Sizing: Kits available to fit children's sizes S (M, L, XL): 25 ( 26.5, 28, 29.5)” / 63.5 ( 67.5, 71.5, 75)cm
This kit includes:
* North Child tote bag
* Original pattern instructions by Sarah Berry
* Istex Lettlopi (pure Icelandic wool; 1.75oz / 50g per 109yd / 100m ball): MC 9426 Golden Heather; CC1 1403 Lapis Blue Heather; CC2 1404 Glacier Blue Heather; CC3 0054 Ash Heather.
* Knitting needles are not included, as these depend upon personal gauge and choice; this pattern requires 16” / 40cm and 24” / 60cm circular needles, and needles for preferred method of working small circumferences in the round: DPNs / magic loop / two circular needles.
* Also required: darning needle; stitch marker; stitch holders x 4 / waste yarn.
* Blocked gauge: This pattern requires two sizes of needles: a larger size for knitting in stocking stitch, and a smaller size for the ribbing edges. Blocked gauge is 20 sts and 22 rounds = 4” / 10cm square in stocking stitch using 4.5mm / U.S. 7 needles or whatever size YOU require to achieve correct gauge.
North Child knitting kits use Icelandic lopi yarn because this sustainably produced fibre embodies everything I love about handknits. For the past 60 years or so, Icelandic knitters have been creating their stranded-yoke sweaters from the uniquely lofty and warm yarn, twisted together from the double layered fleece of their primitive-breed sheep. This combination of soft inner staple bound with long, strong outer fibres produces a wonderfully lightweight, insulating yarn, ready to be transformed into the kind of boldly beautiful colourwork patterns that have made the Lopapeysa one of the most iconic and popular of all sweater designs.
Fjord has been in the back of my mind since I first saw the Lettlopi shade chart. The colours are like no other yarns I'd ever seen, but Golden Heather was the first to leap out at me; it reminds me of larches, oak leaves, and especially of the lichen-covered rocks on my local Highland beach. On sunny days, the contrast between these rocks and the strips of coral beach, turquoise sea, and wide sky is breathtaking - and so the design for Fjord was born.
Construction: After the body and sleeves have been worked, they are joined at the underarm. The yoke pattern shapes the shoulders, and the cosy doubled ribbing at the neck tops it off. The only finishing required is a few stitches of grafting at the underarm and a little slip stitching at the neck, and Fjord is ready to block and wear.
North Child is the sole owner of the pattern and photographs of this design. This pattern and design are subject to copyright, and are for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not distribute or sell this pattern or any items created using the instructions in this kit.
You might also like
More from this seller
Shipping & policies
Returns & exchanges
- Custom or personalized orders
- Perishable products (like food or flowers)
- Digital downloads
- Intimate items (for health/hygiene reasons)