Collectible souvenir bone china THIMBLE depicting NUNNINGTON HALL / THE NATIONAL TRUST. Excellent condition with no chips, cracks, fading or other damage to note. Measures 1" tall. The front of this collectible souvenir thimble features a depiction of Nunnington Hall in color, the back features an oak branch with The National Trust. Gold trim around the base of this thimble. Fully marked on the inside with THE NATIONAL TRUST BONE CHINA MADE IN ENGLAND.
Nunnington Hall, North Yorkshire, or at least the site of the present hall, has been around a long time. Since the 13th century, in fact. The present hall dates from the 16th and 17th centuries, with the most significant alterations having been carried out during the 17th century and again in the 1920s. Architecturally, the Hall has a distinct Elizabethan appearance, and much of it dates from this, and the Stuart, period.
Nunnington Hall has had some interesting and scandalous tenants during its lifetime, including Elizabeth I's doctor, Robert Huicke, and Viscount Preston, who plotted to return the exiled James II to the English throne.
Other noteable owners were the Grene family, whose daughter, Matilda (Maud), married Sir Thomas Parr in 1499. Their youngest daughter, Catherine, became Henry VIII's sixth wife in 1543, and thanks to his sister's royal marriage, their son William was created Earl of Essex and Marquess of Northampton. He was later implicated in the failed attempt to elevate Lady Jane Grey to the throne, and subsequently forfeited his titles and properties to the crown.
An absolute must for anyone who likes miniatures, the Carlisle collection is a gorgeous exhibit of around twenty miniature room scenes. Ranging from a grand Regency hallway to the carpenter's shop, these are most definitely NOT dolls house rooms, but carefully crafted scale models.
Flower at Nunnington Hall - The gardens at Nunnington Hall are completely organic, and have been so since 2002. They retain the character of a 17th century walled garden, one of the few surviving examples as most were removed in the 18th century when the preference was for open, landscaped gardens. Containing more than 50 species of clematis, mixed shrub and herbaceous borders, and an orchard area which is left natural as a wildflower meadow.