PDF Vintage baby knitting pattern cardigan matinee coat 6 months "Flower Borders" child infant easy quick baby-shower #21
This is a digital file
Knitting Pattern for a Matinee Coat for a 6-month Baby "Flower Borders"
PLEASE NOTE: this listing is for a knitting pattern only, you will not receive the finished garment or the needles and yarn.
• This pattern was in my mother's collection and dates back to the 1940s.
• It was written in an age when all knitting for babies was completed in pure wool so read the pressing instructions with care! Please refer to your ball band for pressing details.
• The original pattern has become creased and yellowed with age and some characters are smudged, so I have reformatted the text but retained the original knitting abbreviations.
• All measurements are in inches and you may wish to obtain an inch ruler or tape measure in order to be accurate.
• An ounce of wool weighs approximately 25g, 1 yard = 36 inches.
• Old UK size 10 needles are equivalent to 3.25mm today, size 12 is equivalent to 2.75mm; (US sizes 3 and 1 respectively).
• This pattern was originally known by the austere title “Raglan Picot Edged” and then was reprinted by Patons & Baldwins in the 1950s/1960 as Picot Edged Raglan! I have taken the text from the 1940s version but inserted some small clarifications which appeared in the later issue. In the later issue, the recommended yarn was 3ply baby yarn. If you cannot obtain a 3-ply yarn, try using a modern lightweight 4-ply/fingering yarn, and adjust the needle sizes to achieve the correct tension – you may finish up with a slightly heavier garment (and possibly a slightly larger garment) than the original and therefore need more yarn!
• I recommend that the tension square is washed and spread out to dry before measuring, to ensure that the garment will still fit after its first washing!
No resale rights, personal use only - in accordance with Etsy's policies. Copyright Lorna Jenkin 2017