Vintage baby matinee coats jackets cardigans traditional 4 patterns reproduction complete infant gift baby-showerPDF #24
This is a digital file
VINTAGE KNITTING PATTERN FOR FOUR MATINEE COATS Up to 6months old 1940s PDF
PLEASE NOTE: this is a downloadable file, NOT the completed garments or the paper copy
This pattern is from my own collection and I have knitted two of the patterns several times - they are beautiful and will be admired! The pattern itself has come to pieces and is in a delicate state so I have scanned and removed most creases and smudges for easier reading; however the cover page still retains its creases as attempting to remove them digitally might have spoiled the photographs.
I have also reproduced the individual patterns singly, at a cheaper rate and reformatted the text, but this is the scanned original of the whole booklet.
• This pattern gives instructions for four beautiful little garments for the first few months. The pattern was written in an age when all knitting for babies was completed in pure wool. Read the pressing instructions with caution: refer to your ball band!
• All measurements are in inches and you may wish to obtain an inch ruler or tape measure in order to be accurate.
• An ounce of wool weighs approximately 25g, 1 yard = 36 inches.
• Old UK size 10 needles are equivalent to 3.25mm today, size 12 is equivalent to 2.75mm; (US sizes 3 and 1 respectively).
• To obtain the correct tension with modern yarns try going up or down one size of needles. Try using modern yarns which recommend the use of 3.25mm needles, (US size 3). The tension required has been achieved using modern 4-ply sock yarn or fingering wool with the needle sizes above– but note that a larger quantity of yarn may be needed and the finished garment will be 'chunkier' and heavier, requiring more yarn. A lace-weight yarn would work, but may produce a slightly smaller garment.
• If you think you have found an error in my reformatting please drop me a line!
• I recommend that the tension square is washed and spread out to dry before measuring, to ensure that the garment will still fit after its first washing!
No resale rights, personal use only - in accordance with Etsy's policies. Copyright Lorna Jenkin 2017