Very old and unusual tool - a cement edger made of cast iron and wood. Measures 5 1/4 by 2 3/4
E. C. Stearns & Company was a manufacturer of tools and hardware in Syracuse, New York and was organized in 1864 as George N. Stearns Company by George N. Stearns, a wagon maker. During the early years, the company was principally involved in the production of hollow iron tools and specialties, hollow augers, and saw vises.After George N. Stearns encountered health problems in 1877, son Edward C. Stearns, an industrialist, along with his sister, Avis Stearns Van Wagenen assumed duties and renamed the company. By 1884, the firm manufactured iron castings and skilled machinists produced patterns for metal fabrication. At the end of the 19th century, the company was one of the most extensive manufactories of hardware in the United States, and was one of the leading manufacturing industries of Syracuse.