Bauhaus Serio-Lithograph Print: Fantastical 1920s Architectural Interior Design by Paul Knothe, No. 1
German Bauhaus painter Paul Knothe's 1920's serio-lithograph print imagines a fantastical Pierrot’s salon: wildly inventive interior design for wall, ceiling, and floor, in incredibly rich and vibrant colors, most likely an example of various wallpaper designs, or interior decoration options, probably from the Dessau Bauhaus school’s interior design department.
Plate 1 shows a 3-dimensional section of a room with wide, arched doorway, ceiling, and floor, decorated in a brilliant conglomeration of watermelon and plum-y pinks, deep lavender blues, tans, browns, and bright red accents. The design embellishments, again lots of geometric shapes, with more whimsical birds, flowers and trees, and a fabulous castle...every glance reveals more!
I'm calling this a serio-lithograph, (a litho with some seriograph colors applied) as there are solid blocks of color without obvious dots.
Measures about 15.75 inches high [40cm] and 11.75 inches wide [29.9cm], with an image size of 11.5 inches [29.2cm] by 7 7/8 inches [19.75cm]. “Paul Knothe” is printed in lower left corner and “Akt.-Ges. Für Kunstdruck, Niedersedlitz-Dresden” in the lower right corner. Exact date unknown.
In excellent vintage condition – no tears, creases, holes, toning, etc. Just some minor soiling in the bottom margin and a spot or 2 of slight edgewear.
:: Paul Knothe ::
A variety of experiences and inspirations—his family art business, Klee and Kandinsky's fundamental theory of design, combined with his own design practice and theoretical musings—enabled the young Knothe (1897-1988) to conceptualize "the artist as artist space” and to unconsciously anticipate Bauhaus ideas, which were reflected in his work. Knothe joined the Bauhaus in Dessau in 1919 and further developed his distinctive modern style. Early works were signed as “Paul Ka”, and later “Paul Kaan”. Forbidden to paint in 1933, most of his paintings were confiscated and destroyed by the Nazis. He later produced more abstract watercolors and drawings.
Several Paul Knothe prints are available; for more art deco lithograph and pochoir prints and posters, see my Vintage Prints & Posters section: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SusabellaBrownstein?section_id=6236031
You might also like
More from this seller
Shipping & policies
U.S. Shipments: We use USPS Priority, USPS Media Mail, FedEx Ground/Home Delivery or UPS Ground with delivery confirmation, but our domestic shipping costs are generally estimated for Flat Rate Priority shipping; insurance is included in your price.
International Shipments: We generally use USPS International First Class for packages up to 4lbs [1.81kg] and costing less than $50 - it's cheaper, but offers a Customs number instead of a tracking number; for packages over 4lbs [1.81kg], we use USPS Priority International, which offers tracking. Please contact us with your full address for an exact quote.
Shipping Estimates: If it costs more to ship your order than our estimate, we will cover the difference up to $10. If we underestimate your shipping costs by more than $10, then we'll contact you to work out a solution. Alternately, if we overestimate the cost by more than $2, we'll refund the entire overage.
Tracking numbers & shipping confirmation will be emailed to you once shipment has been made.
PLEASE NOTE: When using PayPal, we will ship only to PayPal confirmed addresses (usually the same address as on your credit card statements).
Please contact us if your package has not arrived after 5 days of the estimated arrival date in your Shipping Confirmation email.
We accept all major credit cards through Direct Checkout and PayPal. You can also use an eCheck or money from your bank account through PayPal (with or without creating a PayPal account). We also accept Etsy Gift Cards.
Immediate payment is required unless you contact us before making your purchase to discuss other arrangements.
:: PAYING IN INSTALLMENTS (LAYAWAY) ::
We offer Layaway payment programs to enable our customers to stay within their budgets AND to purchase something they love; please inquire if interested.
:: LAYAWAY TERMS ::
Once we come to an agreement with you about what amounts you can pay and when, we create a separate listing for each payment, and post in our RESERVED section with the payment dates that you choose. That way you just go through the regular Etsy purchase process on those dates.
1. The process begins with an initial payment to hold your purchase, usually 15%-20% for orders up to $500; orders over $500 require a down payment of 20%-30%. This and your future payments are considered deposits, only refundable if, after receiving the item, you find your item(s) significantly different than described and ask us to return it within a week of its arrival.
2. Please choose the dates on which you commit to making the payments. If you need help remembering, we can send you a reminder a day or so beforehand.
3. Please use the same payment method for all your installment payments (either PayPal or Etsy's direct checkout). That way there's no confusion about when payments are made or received. PayPal has an eCheck system that links directly to your bank account if you don't want to use a credit or debit card.
4. Please provide your phone number in the comments section of your first payment.
5. If you miss any payments by more than 2 days and 2 reminder emails, we take the item out of reserved status, and it becomes available for purchase by the general public. If someone else does purchase it, we will refund a portion of your payments to you (the total amount paid, less a 15% restocking fee, and up to $5 per installment to cover fees & labor).
6. We will ship upon receipt of the final payment.
:: WEDDING REGISTRY DISCOUNT PROGRAM ::
When you add an item to your Etsy Registry (or other online registries), the item is not actually reserved and could be purchased by someone else. We offer you the option of reserving any items in our shop for your guests to purchase, provided you commit to buying any leftover pieces at a discounted price (10% off for purchases up to $450; $15% off anything over that).
~ Items can be reserved for up to 3 months
~ Item reservations totaling between $500-$999 require a 20% deposit; over $1000 the deposit is 25%
~ You have up to 10 days after your wedding date to finalize any outstanding purchases, after which we will refund any unused deposits. If no items remain for you to purchase, we will refund your deposit within 7 days of your wedding date.
:: SALES & DISCOUNTS ::
We offer a 10% discount to repeat customers, and of course, courtesy to the trade; please use the following COUPON CODES during checkout:
* Returning Customers - 10% off every time you shop with us; use RETURNCUSTOMER10
* Current Etsy Sellers - 15% off anytime; use ETSYSELLER15 (Please note: you must have at least 15 items listed to be considered a current seller)
For more information on redeeming coupon codes, see:
Returns & exchanges
Vintage items are by nature old, and as such, are assumed to be in age-appropriate condition. We strive to describe all defects, flaws, or signs of age in great detail.
Please note: photographed colors will display differently on different devices. If exact color is important to you, please contact us before purchasing for additional photos.
If an item arrives damaged, please save all packing material & the original box, and send us with photos and description of the damage. We will handle any claims with the carrier.