A Child of the 70s and 80s
My vintage shop began when my dad began sending me home with boxes and boxes of my childhood treasures that had been moved to his new house in the 1980s and placed in his attic. I didn't want most of the stuff anymore, but it seemed too valuable to just give away so Smiling Cat Vintage was born.
I've found myself inheriting more items from various family members, more treasures that we didn't want, but that were too good to give away. More inventory for my vintage shop.
Because I've been fortunate to get most of my inventory for free, I haven't spent much time shopping for more. I enjoy visiting vintage and antique shops where I often find myself comparing what they've got with what I've got (and being thankful I'm selling on Etsy where there's a much wider audience for my treasures!)
Where did the name Smiling Cat Vintage come from? I already had an Etsy shop, Smiling Cat Studio (https://www.etsy.com/shop/smilingcatstudio), and so just changed up the logo a bit to make her look a bit more vintage. You know, sepia tones and a pearl necklace...
The Smiling Cat was a real, in-the-fur, kitty named Oops!. I inherited her when she was 12 from my grandmother and great uncle when they down-sized. Oops! was with us for 5 years. During that time, I observed her utter happiness and contentment as she smiled while curled up in my lap, laying in a sunbeam, looking out the window...doing cat things. I named my shop for that happiness and contentment which is my goal in the world too.
Artist, writer, historic preservationist, and cat lover with WAY too many boxes of childhood treasures...
All items live in a smoke free environment.
Accepted payment methods
Virginia residents will be charged 5.3% sales tax to keep it legal!
You may notice that some items in my shop have free domestic shipping while others do not. This is because for items weighing less than a pound, the cost of a USPS First Class package is the same throughout the US so I can accommodate that easily in my pricing. For heavier packages, USPS Priority Mail and Parcel Select Ground postage varies depending on your location and so will be calculated via Etsy's Calculated Shipping and added to your purchase at the time of the sale. If you would like to send a "free shipping" package by Priority Mail to receive it more quickly, please let me know via convo and I can create an order for you to purchase the upgraded postage.
Shipping within the US always includes delivery confirmation. Customs forms track delivery for international shipping. Any duties, VAT, taxes or customs fees are the buyer's responsibility.
I've estimated the size and weight of each package to use Etsy's Calculated Shipping. If I have overestimated shipping costs by $2.00 or more, I will refund the overage to you.
Shipping times vary by location, but items should arrive in 7-14 days. If an item has been delayed longer than that, please let me know. No refunds will be made for 6 weeks from mailing date on international orders to be sure that the package hasn't gotten stuck in customs. Once the package has left my hands, I am not responsible for shipping and customs delays.
Please note that if there are customs regulations forbidding me to ship the item purchased to your country, I will contact you and refund your purchase.
Returns and exchanges
I gladly accept cancellations
I don't accept returns or exchanges
Returns and exchange details
The buyer is responsible for all shipping if an item is returned. Requests for returns must be made within 14 days of receipt.
The item returned must be received and in the same condition it was when sent before a refund is issued. Refunds will not include return shipping, Etsy or PayPal fees. A $2 restocking fee will be charged.
*** Beware of a lot of legalese below for GDPR compliance. The crux is that I only have access to your name, postal address, email address, convos with me, and items ordered. I never have access to your payment information - Etsy does. I will never use your information to contact you unless it is related to your order. ***
1. Information I Collect
To fulfill your order, you must provide me with certain information (which you authorized Etsy to provide to me), such as your name, email address, postal address, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information (for a custom order, for example), if you contact me directly.
2. Why I Need Your Information and How I Use It
I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
* as needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfill your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
* if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
3. Information Sharing and Disclosure
Information about my customers is important to my business. I share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
* Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
* Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
* Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
4. Data Retention
5. Your Rights
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
* Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
* Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
* Object. You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
* Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Terri Fisher, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at "vintage at smilingcatstudio.com".
*If you need to access, correct or delete personal information held by Etsy, including credit card information, you may contact Etsy at Etsy.com/help for assistance.