Returns & exchanges
- Custom or personalized orders
- Intimate items (for health/hygiene reasons)
Frequently asked questions
Payment and Sales Tax
Thank you for shopping at Back2Beads! If you have any questions, please send me a message using Etsy Convos.
I accept payment from credit cards, PayPal, Apple Pay, and Etsy Gift Cards. I ship within 2 business days (Monday-Friday) after cleared payment.
GST/HST will apply to Canadian residents and will be automatically added at checkout. Since my shop is located in British Columbia, buyers from BC will pay 5% GST and 7% PST for a total of 12% sales tax.
Canada Revenue Agency GST/HST number: 867623399
Province of British Columbia PST number: PST-1011-8539
Shipping Info and Customs Duties
Orders are shipped via Canada Post air mail. Please note that Canada Post does not process mail on Saturdays, Sundays, or statutory holidays. For buyers outside of Canada, Canada Post will ship the package to your country and your national postal service (USPS, Royal Mail, etc.) will deliver it to your address.
If you'd like a tracking number or need express shipping, please contact me before purchasing and I will provide a shipping quote. Buyer is responsible for paying for shipping upgrades.
Customers outside of Canada may have to pay extra customs duties and taxes upon delivery of your order. Any fees or taxes associated with the import of products into your country are the buyer's responsibility.
Damaged and Lost Orders
I will re-send or refund an order if items are damaged during shipping. The buyer needs to provide photos clearly showing the damaged item(s) and packaging material (bubble mailer or cardboard box). Please contact me within 5 business days if your item arrives damaged.
Canada Post is very reliable, and most orders arrive within the estimated shipping time for your country. Occasionally, shipping delays can occur due to severe weather, customs clearance, mail processing issues, and other factors. Packages are not considered lost until 20 calendar days (Canada) or 40 calendar days (USA + other countries) after shipment. If you believe your order is lost, please contact me and we will work out a solution.